4/17/2015

Doogee DG750 Iron Bone a phone I wouldn’t bother letting my dog bury


First impressions of the $100 Doogee Iron Bone, a phone I wouldn’t even bother letting my dog bury.

First impressions of the $100 Doogee Iron Bone, a phone I wouldn’t even bother letting my dog bury.

Before I leave the office for the night, here is a quick first impressions of the Doogee DG750 Iron Bone (stupid name!), a phone which has me believe that Doogee have lost their minds (and not in the good way!).


Usually on a Friday evening and the DHL man comes a knocking I’m very excited and I’ll stick behind late to make a quick hands on video, but not tonight. You see instead of receiving one of the exciting phones from Elephone, Mlais or Bluboo, I’ve just received the Doogee DG750 Iron Bone. I already tried this phone at MWC and thought what utter junk it was then, and upon opening the box when it arrived today I have the same opinion.

The Doogee DG750 Iron Bone comes at a time when $100 Android phones are shipping with 64bit processors, LTE, Android 5.0 Lollipop and HD displays. The ‘Iron Bone’, named for the shape of the metal frame, has none of that, nothing even remotely close!

At the heart of the DG750 is last years octacore Mediatek MT6592 chipset, why? Why oh why would we want an MT6592 in this phone? If you are going to go last gen why not be sensible and use an MT6582, then with the saving boost RAM 2GB, or add a HD display?

So we have an octacore processor with a bottle neck of 1GB RAM running Android 4.4 Kitkat on a 4.7-inch 960 x 540 resolution display and 2000mAh battery. It’s almost as if the DG750 Iron Bone was actually produced early in 2014, but Doogee management simply forgot about it until this year, at $100 it has no right being a budget 2015 phone.

Doogee claims the cameras are an 8 mega-pixel rear and 5 mega-pixel front, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the front is 2 mega-pixel and the rear a 5 mega-pixel.

The only highlight of the phone is the “CNC aluminium Zinc alloy frame”. It feels sturdy and gives the phone a substantial feel. It also add a nice bit of weight to the device offering you better accuracy for when you ultimately throw it in the trash.

I’m not going to go in to great detail about the rest of the phone at this point as I have visions of myself recreating this morning’s UMi Hammer smash test with the “Dog Bone” (I might anyway).
 
If you think I am being harsh about the phone then I am sorry but I cannot agree. For $99 Bluboo have the C100, a phone which has a 5-inch HD (1280 x 720) display, 64bit processor, LTE and Android 5.1, then there is the Elephone G2 for $99 (or less if you shop about) boasting a choice of ROMs, 64bit MT6732, LTE and larger 2300mAh battery.

Anyway less ranting and to the point. If you want an out of date phone you can enjoy counting the pixels on for $100 buy the Doogee DG750 Iron Bone, if you want an actual decent usable phone made by companies who understand customers want LTE and Lollipop then head to Elephone or Bluboo.

No comments:

Post a Comment